Tuesday, August 18, 2015

More August Updates

Hey there Redmond fans!

I'll post new pics tonight, but for now it's just me talking (the phone is undergoing the latest apple update...)

Redmond has gotten nice and comfortable here and is learning how to be pet. I know that sounds silly, but before when you were giving him attention, he got so excited and wiggly you could barely pet him. Now he is learning to sit or lay nicely and just soak it all up.

On the walking front, we are going to keep working on getting used to the gentle leader since Redmond is still trying to take it off. This just means playing fetch while it's on, and getting lots of treats :)

We are also working on getting his paws healthy. He's had a couple of minor tears on his paws since he came home with us (they've both healed up by now). It was nothing major, just something to keep in mind in this summer heat - I like to rub coconut oil on the boys' paws every other night or so to keep them moisturized...plus they love it because they know I'll add a little to their food. Also, good to note, he has no issues about his paws being handled.

Redmond has put on some weight, and a steady diet has done him good! Ryan and I think he could put on a couple more pounds, but he is looking as handsome as ever!

Well...here's the "uh-oh" part...Scout has taught Redmond some *potential* bad manners. Redmond has learned that the couch is super comfy, better than his dog bed! I know a lot of dog owners don't allow their pets on the furniture, so we are discouraging this.

Anyway, these are the little details about him that we are starting to notice as he comes out of his shell. Ryan and I absolutely adore him! He's a sweet boy with lots of love to give <3

Questions?? Post them and I'll get back with you!

7 comments:

  1. How would he do with apartment living? Walks and runs and all that good exercise stuff would happen, but would he be ok in a kennel during the day for about 8-9 hours? Would he be ok in a single-dog, single person home? He is a sweet boy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Airon, get ready for a pretty long response here!

      Ryan and I are a little at odds about how we view kenneling for longer periods of time. My concern is that if you are kenneling him for 8+ hours a day and then at night, that's roughly 16 hours/day in a kennel. Would you be able to come home during the day to let him out for a bathroom break? Redmond goes to the bathroom pretty frequently, and while he has only had one accident in his crate overnight, a mid-day bathroom break would be ideal.

      With us Redmond is only crated 4-6 hours a day Monday - Friday, and only at night on the weekends. While he does well in a kennel, when he is let out he is ready to move, move, move! Daily walks, runs, fetch and play-time are a must. Redmond is an extremely active dog who enjoys being outside.

      We do think he would adjust to apartment living given plenty of exercise. I don't think being in a single-dog, single-person family would be a problem for him at all - he would be happy for all the attention, and has shown he is just as happy with a ball or toy as he is with having another dog around.

      Thanks for your interest in Redmond! We are always happy to show him off and get the chance to tell more people about him. I hope this helps - if you have any more questions, comments, or concerns let us know!

      LC

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the insight into Redmond! I would likely be able to go home just about every day to let him out for a break during the day, but sometimes work might get in the way with meetings and such. I would not kennel him at night if he would be ok out of it and sleep on a dog bed. I don't like the idea of having a dog in a kennel at night (unless very destructive) as he would be companion (as well as a bit of protector). The apartment complex I live in has a dog run area with an agility course and I am a very active person as well. I completely understand your hesitation about kenneling for that long and maybe he needs a home where his humans can be around more during the day for him. Thank you for the thorough and honest response!

      Delete
    3. Airon thanks for you response! This eases a lot of my concerns, and answers some of the questions I had! I hope you don't think I was rude in my response - definitely not my intention! I want to make sure that I get Redmond into a home where he is set up for success, and his family is aware of all his little quirks!

      Redmond is not destructive, and only chews on his toys or tennis balls - we leave him out unsupervised during the day when we are at work and we have not had any issues with him getting into things he isn't supposed to (and Ryan leaves his shoes alllll over the place ;] ).

      If you aren't already an approved adopter through the Heart of Texas, I would recommend filling out an online application (https://hotlabrescue.org/hotlab/adoption.jsp) Or, if you are already approved, e-mail HOTLR and see if you can get set up to come out to the meet and greet this weekend.

      Please don't hesitate to contact us about Redmond or if you have questions about Heart of Texas Lab Rescue. These dogs are amazing and deserve all the attention we can give them so if you need any help at all let me know!

      Delete
    4. Airon, did you get an e-mail from me? I tried to send you one. We are very excited about your interest in Redmond, and he sounds like he would fit in great with your lifestyle! I wanted to see if you had filled out an application, and if so we can maybe get you out to the meet and greet this Saturday (if you're willing, and we can make it work). I would love for you to meet Redmond and see how sweet this boy is in person!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I haven't seen anything come through my email but if you want to email me again, it's aironk84@gmail.com :) I would love to meet him and see if we could be a good fit for each other. I will fill out an application and we can see where things go from there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So apparently this blog is excited that I commented because it posted it 3 times! Anyhow, I just read your latest update and realized that I misunderstood which Saturday you meant! I moved into my new apartment this past weekend so I missed meeting Redmond (in my head I'm calling him Red for some reason) but hoping I can still meet him and y'all and chat about things. Please let me know!

    ReplyDelete