Sunday, August 9, 2015

Update!

Hello all! Just wanted to post some pictures and a few updates about Redmond's progress.
"You'll share that pizza right? Maybe just the pepperonis?"


First, Ryan and I have been SO HAPPY with the gentle leader we got for Redmond. It makes walking him SO much easier and I will highly, highly, highly recommend his furr-ever family purchase one for him (I'll teach you how to use it if you're unfamiliar, but we are keeping this one for other foster pups, sorry!). Right now he doesn't love that he can't pull, so he does this funny thing where he opens his mouth reeaaal wide and tries to use his paws to slip it off his nose. Sounds weird, looks weirder! But we have been taking treats and giving him lots of love and he is adjusting well.

To Scout's delight, Redmond is finally wanting to PLAY! The boys have always gotten along and follow each other everywhere, but Scout loves to wrestle and he is teaching Redmond his ways.

We are still working on not getting on the counters. Ryan and I are using the command "down" and are making progress..today was the first time he has tried to counter surf all week. To be fair we had hatch green chili empanadas up there...who could resist!?!

Fetch is still allllll the rage, and Reds love affair with food is as strong as ever.

For those of you who didn't read the comments from the last post (I don't even know if you can see them??) I just wanted to throw it out there that Redmond has not been exposed to kids or cats while with us. One, we don't have any kids, and two, Ryan isn't a fan of cats (but I'm working on that ;) ).

So for now, I'm erring on the conservative side and saying I think he would do best with kids 8+.

I do think he would do well with younger kids with supervision until he gets used to the rules of his new household, but I say 8+ for two reasons: as with any big dog, littles can get knocked over accidentally. Also, because Redmond loves food and little fingers are so close to mouth-level for him, he might decide he is hungrier than your little one. Red isn't aggressive about food, but he does really love it.

I think I've covered all the bases I wanted to give updates on, but this week has been a busy one so there's a good chance there will be another update soon because I forgot something.

As always, please leave a comment with any questions about Redmond (or Heart of Texas Lab Rescue)! I love to brag about this sweet boy, so we will make sure to get back to you ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment